Read Pekka Himanen’s paper "Challenges to the Global Information Society" and write a blog review.
In his paper Himanen points out the global trends of today’s information society. He has selected three aspects based on a geographical position- USA, Europe and Asia. He characterizes the regions and brings out the problems that they already have or will occur in the near future. Unfortunately it was very familiar to hear that Europeans protect only their own interests and envy those who have it better. Himanen also talks about a forth scenario- the almost perfect one.
I believe the last scenario could be doable or at least we should aim that way. Thanks to IT, people get their work done faster and therefore they should be valued more. For an example a good way to show that is to compromise with your employee about working hours on Friday (instead of 18:00 you get off 16:00).
Himanen emphasizes how important it is to leave room for creativity and innovation. I strongly believe in that, even from my own experiences I can say if I have the freedom to use my imagination for some tasks the result is much better. In conclusion I am satisfied with my work and the company is happy. In Estonia the last couple of year’s innovation has been a popular topic and I hope managers have taken it into consideration. Estonia might step closer to the new information society with the perfect values but we still have million steps before the goal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment